In my early years as a teacher, I dreaded going to
trainings of any kind. Working in the early childhood area, the
information never seemed to apply to me. Each time a training was
required of me, I tended to go into it with my jaw set...knowing I would be
bored and that it was a total waste of time. So, when asked to attend a
workshop in my local area that was about technology and how it was used with
children who had disabilities, I was resentful that I had to attend to
represent the school district. This did NOT apply to me at all. First, I
hardly ever used this type of technology in my room and second, I was not
serving any child who had a disability that year! Grudgingly, I loaded up my
note taking materials and headed to the location to sit.
Sure enough...as the workshop drug on through the
hours of the afternoon, I became more and more restless. Then it happened.
A young girl with Down Syndrome appeared on the screen with a facilitator
to show all of us an example of how to use the technology. Her innocence
and the clarity of her voice captured my attention. The facilitator began to
try and draw her into a conversation. "Are you having a birthday this
week?" "Yes," she said quietly. "Are you going to
have a party?" "Yes," she answered again. "Who will be
coming to the party?" asked the facilitator. "Jesus," the young
voice said. Not quite knowing how to respond to that answer, the facilitator
continued, "Oh...well...who else will come?" "I don't
know," she said. Still trying to elicit more conversation for this
experiment the facilitator asked, "How do you know that Jesus will be
coming?" Then it happened. What was said next would forever stay in
my memory. "Jesus is coming," she said. "I know He is coming
because He speaks to me in His finest whispers." That sentence was said
with such clarity, no one could mistake its meaning. I still feel chills
throughout my body even today as I write those words. "He speaks to me in
His finest whispers." That young girl with Down Syndrome was not as busy
as the rest of us. She probably had time alone at home, while everyone
else was busy playing or running here and there. But in her quiet moments,
Jesus had spoken to her. He had spoken to her in His finest
whispers.
Several things happened to me that day. I began to realize that
God was even in the required trainings. Even when I don't want to go to this or
that, He has a plan and will speak to me if I am open to hear Him. I have
a choice...I can dread the appointment or I can go in looking for the God
moment. When I do the latter, He always speaks. There is always a divine
intervention. The other realization? God desires to speak to me in the same way
that He spoke to that young girl. When I draw away from the busy-ness...He will
speak to me, too, in His finest whispers.
No comments:
Post a Comment